Looking To Accelerate Internationally? Canada Wants You!
By now, chances are you’ve heard about the new Canadian Start-Up VISA program designed to attract entrepreneurs.
We think Brad Feld summed the news around the VISA best saying, "I read the announcement today that Canada has just launched a Start-Up Visa Program. By doing so, they are saying to the world “welcome immigrant entrepreneurs – please come start your business in Canada.” Read his full post here.
There is one catch to the Candian Start-Up Visa program: if you want to take advantage you’ll need the support of a Canadian angel investor group or venture capital fund.
Good news, accelerators fulfill this requirement. We’d like to introduce you to 3 spectacular Canadian members from inside the Global Accelerator Network. We recently asked each member to share why international entrepreneurs may want to consider their program, here’s what they had to say:
JOLT is an early-stage tech accelerator led by a network of creatives and enthusiastic startup makers who love to build innovative, inspiring companies. We provide startups with an amazing space, fantastic tools and access to market leading experts to create, collaborate, share and build companies that promise to transform people’s lives.
• Located in downtown Toronto
• We’re both an accelerator and network connected to a global startup ecosystem and Canada’s leading innovation centre – MaRS – that supports over 1000 startups on an annual basis.
• We’re builders. Our focus is seed-stage company creation.
• Business areas that we tend to go deep on:
- Monetization (right from the start) – strong focus on mobile
- Design - User experience / interfaces & user engagement
- Financing through both traditional channels and alternative financing platforms
• Technology areas that are interesting to us: data-driven products / services, mobile, social and connected devices – cross industries
• Upon completion of JOLT, startups are integrated into the broader MaRS ecosystem and supported through subsequent stages of growth.
Communitech’s ecosystem has roots in 15 years of collaboration among top tech entrepreneurs, investors, service providers and other start-up focused organizations, including Velocity and the Accelerator Centre.
The Waterloo Region is Canada’s best place to start a tech biz, thanks to strong relationships and an innovative local culture.
HYPERDRIVE lets you tap into the Communitech network of hundreds of successful entrepreneurs
FounderFuel is a Montreal based, Mentor driven startup accelerator focused on Web, Mobile and SaaS:
• $50K for 9% equity on Day 1 of the program
• $150K in convertible note from BDC Venture Capital for “Venture Ready” companies at Demo Day
• 3 months of free office space in the Valley for select companies
• 120 startup veteran Mentors: Serial Entrepreneurs, Investors and Senior Execs
• 800 people at Demo Day, the largest event of its kind in North America
• $150K of exclusive discounts on services you probably already use
Image used under Creative Commons via Alex Indigo